If you are a shopaholic, you must visit Singapore. Singapore is a shopping paradise with many popular shopping malls. If you want to shop in Singapore, you must come in June. This is because every year between May to June, there is a great Singapore Sale (GSS). During GSS, you can get up to 70% discounts for goods and it includes branded goods too.
In this article, let me share with you a few Singapore shopping tips:
1. Bring more credit cards. Almost all boutiques and malls here accept credit cards. So if you want to shop happily, make sure that you bring along a few types of cards such as American Express, VISA, MasterCard and Diners.
2. If you are using cash, make sure to change money at licensed money changers. You can find a lot of money changers along the street of Singapore. Go to a few shops and look at their exchange rates before you change your money.
3. Goods and services in Singapore will be taxed 7%. Currently the GST is 7%. This means that there will be an additional 7% charges on top of the retail price for your goods and services. Sometimes, the GST is not reflected on the price tag. So make sure that you check the price before checkout.
4. If you are not shopping in malls, make sure to ask for the price before purchasing. Prices are fixed when you shop in malls like Tangs, Takashimaya and Suntec City. But for other places like Bugis Street and flea markets, the prices are not fixed. So, always bargain with the seller to try and get a good price. You never ask, you will never know.
5. Visit Singapore between May to June. This is the period where GSS will be held. There are crazy discounts everywhere and you should take advantage of this. If you cannot make it during this period, you can visit Singapore either during January for Chinese New Year sale or end of the year for Christmas sale.
There are many other things that you can do here other than shopping. The nightlife in Singapore is also good. You can visit the popular nightspots like Zouk, Clark Quay and St James PowerStation for a night of fun and drinks.
Hope to see you around in Singapore. Have a safe trip!